John 16 verse 30

Ian

John 16 verse 30

Post by Ian » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:16 am

Have I read the following right (the disciples to Jesus):
Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.”
My first thought was that it would have made more sense for them to say "now we know that you know all things because you don`t need to ask any questions" (ie you`re omniscient).

But that`s not what is written. Instead the interpretation has to be "now we can see you know all things because you can read our thoughts and answer our questions without us even having to ask them, and so don`t need us to express those questions verbally".

Is the latter your interpretation also?

Paidion

Re: John 16 verse 30

Post by Paidion » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:36 pm

The commentator Barnes may have the answer:
Verse 30. Now are we sure that thou knowest all things, and needest not that any man should ask thee: by this we believe that thou camest forth from God.

Ver. 30. Now are we sure that thou knowest, &c. Their difficulty had been to understand what was the meaning of his declaration in #Joh 16:16. About this they conversed among themselves, #Joh 16:17-19. It is evident that they had not mentioned their difficulty to him, and that he had not even heard their conversation among themselves, #Joh 16:19. When, therefore, by his answers to them, {#Joh 16:20-28 } he showed that he clearly understood their doubts; and when he gave them an answer so satisfactory without their having inquired of him, it satisfied them that he knew the heart, and that he assuredly came from God. They were convinced that there was no need that any man should ask him, or propose his difficulties to him, since he knew them all and could answer them.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Ian

Re: John 16 verse 30

Post by Ian » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:58 pm

thanks Paidion for the 3rd party confirmation

Return to “The Gospels”