Lk 22:36-- Jesus's instructions to buy a sword

TK

Lk 22:36-- Jesus's instructions to buy a sword

Post by TK » Fri May 06, 2011 3:02 pm

NIV:"

Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”
“Nothing,” they answered.
36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”
38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”
“That’s enough!” he replied.
NKJV:

And He said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?”
So they said, “Nothing.”
36 Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. 37 For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For the things concerning Me have an end.”
38 So they said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.”
And He said to them, “It is enough.”
NLT:

When I sent you out to preach the Good News and you did not have money, a traveler’s bag, or extra clothing, did you need anything?”
“No,” they replied.
36 “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one! 37 For the time has come for this prophecy about me to be fulfilled: ‘He was counted among the rebels.’ Yes, everything written about me by the prophets will come true.”
38 “Look, Lord,” they replied, “we have two swords among us.”
“That’s enough,” he said.
MSG:

"When I sent you out and told you to travel light, to take only the bare necessities, did you get along all right?"
"Certainly," they said, "we got along just fine."
36-37He said, "This is different. Get ready for trouble. Look to what you'll need; there are difficult times ahead. Pawn your coat and get a sword. What was written in Scripture, 'He was lumped in with the criminals,' gets its final meaning in me. Everything written about me is now coming to a conclusion."
38They said, "Look, Master, two swords!"
But he said, "Enough of that; no more sword talk!"
What in the world is going on here? I have my theory, but wanted to see what y'all think

TK

steve

Re: Lk 22:36-- Jesus's instructions to buy a sword

Post by steve » Fri May 06, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm interested in hearing your theory!

The following difficulties need to be overcome in any satisfying explanations:

1. Since He has pointed out to them that they lacked nothing when they previously went about ministering, without having made provisions for themselves, how does that become an argument for new instructions that they must make provision for themselves?

2. Since he seems to be advocating the possession of swords (for what purpose???), why does He, later the same night, say that those who live by the sword will die by the sword (as an argument for keeping the swords sheathed)?

3. If Jesus really wanted every man among them to be armed with swords—so much so that He advised selling their garments in order to purchase them—then why did He say "It is enough," when they only had two swords among them?

TK

Post by TK » Fri May 06, 2011 7:19 pm

My "theory" hinges on Jesus' quoting from the prophetic passage in Isaiah that he would be numbered with the "transgressors" or "rebels." I think Jesus, in essence, was saying that it was now getting down to the nitty gritty for Him, and that his disciples were part of the picture. They were the "rebels" he was numbered with. "Rebels" carry swords. I don't think Jesus was telling his disciples to literally buy swords. Something of his actual line of thought may have been lost in the translation. We have all heard the saying when hearing something ridiculous- "Put on your waders, it's getting deep in here." I think Jesus was saying something similar-- "better get some swords [you rebels] its going to get rough."

Then, when they mention they had two swords, I take his response "it is enough" or "that's enough" as a rebuke, or "never mind" because they didn't understand (as usual) that he wasn't really interested in the size of their arsenal.

I guess in this instance I feel the MSG version may actually get closest to the intent of what Jesus was saying.

TK

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:22 pm

36 Then He said to them, “But now

Maybe the words "but now" meant that they now had to provide for themselves and Jesus was simply telling them to take the typical natural precautions one would take on a trip though still not meaning a real sword but a symbol of self protection.

verbatim

Post by verbatim » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:32 am

Mar 4:34 But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples.

My opinion here is Jesus is giving a hint that what was written in the Scripture about him must be accomplished and he was reckoned among transgressors :for the things for the things concerning him has fulfillment.
And they said. Lord, behold, here[are] two swords. And he said unto them.It is enough
In my theory perhaps the apostle misinterpreted the Jesus words for “swords” thinking that Jesus meant literal sword instead of spiritual sword in
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

In time of death all living creatures man and beast will be judge with the powerful sword from the mouth of Jesus Christ.
Rev 1:16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth proceeded a sharp two-edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
Luke 22:49-51
When they which were about him saw what would follow, they said unto him, Lord, shall we smite with the sword? 50 And one of them smote the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear. 51 And Jesus answered and said, Suffer ye thus far. And he touched his ear, and healed him.
When his servant smote the ear of the high priest he touched the ear and heal and prevent them to continue smiting them.
So my opinion when he healed the ear which was smoten this means what the Scripture means in
Rev 2:29 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches.

My 2 cents
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:28 am

I'm not sure how it SHOULD be interpreted, but I think in this case it is just as (if not MORE) important how it should NOT be interpreted. It should NOT be interpreted to indicate that Jesus is now in favor of using the sword violently against one's enemies. This is clear enough from everything that comes before this saying (love your enemies, do not resist violence in kind, etc.) and after this saying (rebuking Peter for using the sword, if you live by the sword you'll die by the sword, etc.).

verbatim

Post by verbatim » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:45 pm

mattrose wrote:
I'm not sure how it SHOULD be interpreted, but I think in this case it is just as (if not MORE) important how it should NOT be interpreted. It should NOT be interpreted to indicate that Jesus is now in favor of using the sword violently against one's enemies. This is clear enough from everything that comes before this saying (love your enemies, do not resist violence in kind, etc.) and after this saying (rebuking Peter for using the sword, if you live by the sword you'll die by the sword, etc.).
Agree, and I also think Jesus wasn’t mean to suggest promote violence since it was he who commanded us to love one another but what is sure is that he had spiritual motivation when he said in;
Luke 12:49 I came to cast fire upon the earth; and what do I desire, if it is already kindled?
Luk 12:50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!

Some may interpret the sword as a metaphor for dividing people into those who accept and those who reject Jesus' teaching. Jesus is saying that his mission on earth is not to bring about world peace; it is to teach people the way to obtain spiritual salvation (get into heaven). His teaching on the way to obtain spiritual salvation is like a sword because it separates people into those who believe and those who do not. Jesus is saying specifically that his teaching will cut through families like a sword with some family members believing and following Jesus' teaching and other family members rejecting Jesus' teaching.
Isaiah 49:2 And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me;
Revelation 1:16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35 For I came to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law:
Mat 10:36 and a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
Mat 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to the whole creation.
Eph 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of his might.
Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Eph 6:12 For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world-rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Eph 6:13 Wherefore take up the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and, having done all, to stand.
Eph 6:14 Stand therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
Eph 6:15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Eph 6:16 withal taking up the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the evil one.
Eph 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Thanks and God bless.
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:10 pm

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”
38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”
“That’s enough!” he replied.

I think the words "but now" indicate something has changed "now." Jesus then references Isaiah where it talks about his death so in effect he is saying "but now" i will no longer be with you so you must rely on the "sword" or i think symbolically the Word of God which cuts like a sword. (Heb 4.12-13)

Bud

Post by Bud » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:31 am

I heard somewhere, can't remember where that the word sword back then could also mean a eating utensil type of knife (perhaps even big enough for butchering).
Malachi 3:16 Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another, and the LORD gave attention and heard [it,] and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the LORD and who esteem His name. (NASB) :)

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:28 am

I heard somewhere, can't remember where that the word sword back then could also mean a eating utensil type of knife (perhaps even big enough for butchering).

Even a small knife would contradict everything Jesus had previously said about not resisting evil, about turning the other cheek about forgiveness. I think the sword must be symbolic.

Return to “The Gospels”